Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tell us what you think about potential aesthetic features for SE Pioneer Way

On June 23, a design workshop was held to gather community input on proposed aesthetic features along SE Pioneer Way. Meeting attendees were shown the street light, street trees and tree furnishings that had been selected for the project and had the opportunity to comment on the corridor landscape and paving plan and provide input on options for various elements including benches, sidewalk surface patterns, tree locations and planters and signage.

All of the proposed aesthetic features are shown below and we’d like YOUR input before we make final decisions. Tell us what you think!

You can mail your comments to:

City of Oak Harbor
Attn: Russ Pabarcus, P.E.
865 SE Barrington Drive
Oak Harbor, WA 98277

Or send an email to: rpabarcus@oakharbor.org.

Comments must be submited by Thursday, July 1, 2010.

The street light, street tree and furnishings have been selected for the corridor:



The Paving and Landscape Plan identifies proposed areas where trees and special sidewalk patterns could be placed on the corridor:


For each of the following corridor aesthetics, which option do you prefer? Why?




1 comment:

  1. I would like to see limited trees in the area...because they start off nice, then they become a problem, and they block the store fronts. Instead I like the use of planters. I don’t love the tree guards that were selected, but that’s just me. It’s not the end of the world. They just look like the tree is in prison. They might look nice in person though.

    Of the two planter options I like option A. I like the variety of heights and the sleeker design.

    Of the benches I also like option A. I don’t like either of the other two options at all. I particularly dislike the Chase Park Receptacle and the PacVue bench. Not my favorites!

    Finally, I don’t love either sidewalk patter. The modern doesn’t seem like it will age well…or maybe I just don’t understand how the pattern will work. And it feels almost too modern. And the Dutch plaid seems too busy. Of the two…I would pick Dutch plaid…primarily because in press releases about the town you can say…. “The town’s Dutch heritage is even reflected in the Dutch Plaid Pattern that line the streets in the historic Harborside Shops district.”

    As for the street lights….I like the flowers and hanging baskets…but I think you can do both. Why can’t you design for flowers in the spring/summer and banners in the fall/winter? I say both options are good for different times of year. The banners would offer year-round color and focus…but the hanging baskets would introduce plant life…and since I think we should go low key on the trees…this would provide much needed balance.

    Things are looking good! I can’t way to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete